Here at Exeter Engineering, one of our specialities is engine, gearbox and ancillary rebuilding, catering for cars, motorbikes through to commercial vehicles.
Our background, and over 50 years' combined experience revolve around the complete overhaul and restoration of all mechanical components, and more specifically engines. Our ever growing list of in-house facilities and trusted partnerships allows us to provide the highest quality standards whilst rebuilding your classic engine. From small capacity two stroke motorcycle engines through to commercial sized diesel engines and anything in between, including V8’s and V12’s .
We offer a full engine rebuilding/remanufacturing service to factory/show/concourse standards conforming to BSI standard BS AU 257:2002.
All of our engine rebuilds here at Exeter Engineering are completely bespoke, and you can rest assured that your engine is being carefully rebuilt by our in house experts. We will carry out and oversee all related works, and thus provide all the care and attention it really deserves. From a cylinder head rebuild through to a full engine rebuild, you can expect the highest standard of work.
All engines, regardless of size, go through the same process:
- Complete strip-down, and components thoroughly cleaned
- DI (dimensional inspection) and VI (visual inspection)
- Basic report filed
- Components are then fully cleaned, machined and refinished or replaced where appropriate
- Components are then reassembled, with all tolerances checked on rebuilt and a full report written
- The engine is then fully tested on our test rig, for initial running in, tuning and final checks
All engines also receive the following works:
- Head skim
- Pressure test
- Valve guides (where appropriate)
- Valve seats cut or replaced (where appropriate)
- Valves ground or replaced (where appropriate)
- New or reground camshafts (where appropriate)
- Crank grind (where appropriate)
- Full static and dynamic balancing including all crank, con-rods, pistons, pulleys, flywheel and clutch basket
- New or re-machined oil pump
- New liners (where appropriate)
- New pistons (where appropriate)
- Rods checked for alignment
- Small end bushes replaced (where appropriate)
- All new white metal bearings
- All oil and water galleys chemically and mechanically cleaned and flushed
- Complete carburettor overhaul
- Rebuilt or upgraded ignition systems
- All ancillaries overhauled or upgraded (if required)
- All components refinished as appropriate
We take great satisfaction from refinishing all of our components to the highest possible standard, whether it be to original specifications or to the owner's own taste. Electroplating, chroming, painting, enamelling, powder coating, vapour blasting, polishing are all part of the process to make sure that your engine not only runs like new – but also looks like new.
Not only will you receive your engine back in a better condition than when it left the factory, but you will also receive a portfolio of pictures, spec and data sheets, together with a service book and warranty*.
We also offer a palletised collection and delivery service along with removal and refitment services.
All works are carried out either in house at our specialist facility or with the appropriate carefully selected specialists - all conforming to BSI standards.
We strive to be the industry leaders in the classic vehicle restoration world, delivering excellence in all fields of our expertise and providing that quality workmanship that can be so hard to find.
If you're not after a show standard engine, and would just like an engine refresh, inspection or you're just having running difficulties, then contact us to find out how we can help.
For those who are just looking for component rebuilds, please see our Restoration Services page.
Here are a few of the engines we have rebuilt here at Exeter Engineering: Jaguar 5.3l V12 (E Type), Jaguar XK, MGA, Ford Capri V6, Datsun 260z (L26 & L28), Rover V8, BMW 2002 and Tii, BMW 3.0CSI, Rover 10 Special, MG TA, MG J2, 1934 Wolseley Hornet, MGA, Austin Healey 100/4, 100/6 and 3000, Austin Healey Sprite, Mini, VW (numerous!), Series Landrover, Sunbeam S8, Suzuki Beamish RL250, Harley Davidson (numerous), BSA (numerous). You can read more about some of these rebuild projects on our Portfolio page.